Bone broths and stocks are found in every culture. Traditionally once the meat from the animal was consumed it was common to cook the remainder of the animal by simmering the bones, marrow, feet, tendons and ligaments with water and vegetables for a number of days. This method of slow cooking caused the bones and organs to break down releasing healing compounds such as collagen and amino acids and the liquid to become nutrient dense with minerals.
5 Reasons Why You Should Be Have Bone Broths
1. Nutrient dense – bone broths contain calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon & sulphur in forms which the body can absorb easily. This also means we can digest broths very easily.
2. Improves joint health – broths contain glucosamine & sulphur which help to reduce inflammation in the joints. Broths also contain collagen & gelatin which are released from the bones, skin & cartilage which help to maintain strong bones & joints.
3. Promote healing – particularly of the digestive system. Broths contain glutamine, an amino acid which helps to heal the lining of the gut & reduce inflammation in leaky gut syndrome or if suffering from food intolerances or allergies.
4. Boosts immunity – gelatin not only helps our bones but supports our gut health by encouraging the growth of good bacteria (probiotics). By helping to support a healthy inflammatory response broths also reduce inflammation in the respiratory system & help us to convalesce after a cold – think wholesome chicken soup!
5. Rich in flavour – broths & stocks are tasty & can create depth to your meal. Did you know that broths are the basis for many fine dining dishes – think French consommé!
Its best to cook your own broths & stocks but it you don’t have time do watch out for supermarket brands of stock which can contain synthetic meat flavours & are produced in a lab & not in a real kitchen. MSG (monosodium glutamate) is also commonly found in supermarket stock cubes which is a toxic ingredient.
Ready to try a broth? Check out Mojo Health’s range of organic broths: Broth of Life, NutraOrganics, Byron Bay Broth, Best of the Bone Broth, Pacific Foods
Want to know more about broths? Read Why You Need Broths In Winter